These little balls are a go-to snack for me when I’m busy, as they contain an array of nutritious ingredients to keep me bouncing off the walls. Hemp seeds are a powerhouse of nutrients — they are hormone-balancing, and are loaded with quality plant protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and fibre. Oats are a good source of carbohydrate, also providing vitamins, minerals, and fibre. Protein powder provides protein (whoa), and the coconut oil and nuts and seeds provide some healthy fats. Then there’s chocolate and coffee for a little extra boost.
- 50g pre-soaked (crucial!) whole hemp seeds
- 1 egg OR 1 chia egg (1 TBSP ground chia/flax with 3 TBSP water let sit for a few minutes until it gels)
- 3 TBSP espresso/ strong brewed coffee
- 10g coconut oil
- 30g protein powder (I used vanilla whey)
- 20g coconut flour
- 30g Vitafiber powder (I buy this from Bulkpowders.ie. You can probably omit this, and maybe add a little more protein powder, or something else sticky)
- 50g GF oats (again you can omit if you want a grain-free treat, but add a little more coconut flour and/or ground almonds)
- 30g erythritol or sweetener of choice
- 20g nuts and seeds of choice — i used chia seeds and pumpkin seeds
- Chocolate chunks — I used a mixture of 85% and some sugar-free milk chocolate.
- Dash of sea salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180C, and line a tray with parchment paper.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- With clean hands, form the mixture into balls — about 10. Roll the balls in some more oats.
- Bake for approx 8-10 minutes, or until they look slightly browned and shiny.
- Allow to cool before eating.