These doughnuts are a decadent mash-up of my cinnamon doughnuts, and my coffee cake recipe. Here there is a little added cream cheese in the mix, to make for a more yielding, cakey texture. If you want to make them dairy-free, omit the cream cheese and add in the same amount of a dairy-free alternative, or just some almond or soya milk.
This recipe makes a little batch of approx 6 doughnuts.
- 20g coconut flour
- 60g ground almonds
- 50g erythritol
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 30g butter/ coconut oil (and more for frying)
- 2 TBSP of cream cheese + more for topping
- 3 TBSP prepared strong coffee
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp psyllium husk powder (optional)
- Some dark chocolate
- One prepared doughnut
- A little butter
- Cinnamon, salt
- Optional: I also threw in some chopped hazlenuts and a little ground almonds
+ powdered erythritol, cinnamon, vanilla protein powder (for doughnut rolling)
- Preheat oven to 180C and grease a doughnut pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Fill doughnut pan and bake for about 10 minutes, or until slightly brown around the edges. The baking time will depend on the size of your doughnut wells though, so keep an eye on the oven.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a saucepan, add about a TBSP of coconut oil or butter. Heat over medium heat.
- While the pan is getting hot, combine cinnamon, protein powder, and powdered erythritol.
- Once the oil is hot, add doughnuts to the pan. Turn after 1 to 2 minutes, and cook the other side another minute or so. Remove and roll each side in the topping.
- Add a little more butter to the pan, and smash up one doughnut with a fork. Fry this for about a minute, and turn off the heat. Add in some squares of dark chocolate and some more erythritol (I used powdered), along with some cinnamon and salt, to taste.
- Scoop this filling on to the prepared doughnuts.
- I also melted more chocolate on top, and made another topping from cream cheese, vanilla protein powder, powdered erythritol, and a little coffee. Yea, I'm a total hedonist.