This is a light, fudgy, low-carb brownie recipe. The grated courgette adds lots of moisture, texture, and an illusion of richness. Most crucially, these brownies definitely don’t taste like courgette (zucchini to you statesiders). As courgette season reigns supreme, this is also a great way to use up all those green monsters that lurk in your garden, or that your neighbours offload on your doorstep. This recipe is as usual grain-free, sugar-free, and high-protein. Come at me courgettes! I’m ready for ya.
- ¾ cup courgette, grated, squeezed of its water
- 30g coconut oil
- 2 free-range eggs
- 35g cocoa
- 40g peanut flour (or ground almonds)
- 20g whey protein powder (I used chocolate flavour. You can omit if necessary.)
- 20g coconut flour
- 100g erythritol + 10 drops liquid stevia OR sweetener of choice (honey, maple syrup, sugar etc)
- 1 shot espresso/ 30ml strong coffee
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate chunks (I used about 20g of 85% cocoa content chocolate)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 170C and prepare a cake pan (I lined a glass dish with parchment paper)
- Place courgette in food processor with eggs and oil and blend well.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, except the chocolate chunks.
- Pour mixture into pan and mix in the chocolate. Sprinkle a little more salt on top.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, but it will depend on the dimensions of your pan, so keep an eye on it.
- Allow to cool before serving.