Sometimes you just need a quick emergency batch of mini sponge cakes. These little cakes are the easiest thing to throw together for a quick dessert or breakfast. They are fluffy and full of moisture, and allow for endless variations; you could add lemon, chocolate chips, nuts, and/or top them as you please. This low-carb recipe is grain and sugar-free -- perfect for everyday baking.
- 60g ground almonds
- 20g coconut flour
- 40g erythritol (or granulated sweetener of choice)
- pinch of stevia
- 1 medium free-range egg + 1 yolk
- 30g butter or coconut oil, softened
- 2 tbsp yogurt of choice (I used soya)
- 2 tbsp milk of choice (I used soya milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 160c and grease a muffin tin.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- In your food processor or stand mixer combine the butter and erythritol, then add in the egg and mix.
- Gradually add in the dry mix until just combined.
- Scoop mixture into the muffin tin and bake for approximately 10-15 minutes, depending on the temperature of your oven. An inserted knife should come out clean when testing a muffin's doneness.